This is the big one; the one we’ve all been waiting for! Newsletter #41 has announced the launch date for Beta 2. Oh yeah!
Planned new features:
- Implementation of pilot rankings
- Implementation of pilot ratings
- 500 systems, in a volume of space with a diameter of over 200 light years
- Star system maps (for known systems, and explored areas)
- Improved planetary body procedural generation
- New ship: the Asp Explorer
- Wider variety of ship modules
- Improved information on ship modules
- Outposts and the Occellus starport
- Extended visibility of other ships in supercruise
- Module for tracking other ships using hyperdrive or supercruise
- Non-lethal cargo-hatch disruptor module
- Graphical improvements, including different planetary ring compositions and dust motes
- More music
It’s unclear, at the moment, whether exploration as a credit-earning occupation will be implemented. [Update: 01/10/14: Beta 2 released with exploration scanning and payment mechanics to reward those intrepid pilots who venture far from inhabited space.] This release is promising an enormous stride forward in terms of both game-play and the simply wondrous experience of piloting a ship in Elite: Dangerous.
Wow! Just wow! That’s an awful lot of awesomeness, just 11 days away!